The NTN bearing unit is a combination of a radial ball bearing, seal, and a housing of high-grade cast iron or pressed steel, which comes in various shapes. The outer surface of the bearing and the internal surface of the housing are spherical, so that the unit is self-aligning.
Depending on the type, the following methods of fitting to the shaft are employed:
(1) The inner ring is fastened onto the shaft in two places by set screws.
(2) The inner ring has a tapered bore and is fitted to the shaft by means of an adapter.
(3) In the eccentric locking collar system the inner ring is fastened to the shaft by means of eccentric grooves provided at the side of the inner ring and on the collar.
The NTN maintenance free bearing unit contains a high grade lithium-based grease, good for use over a long period, which is ideally suited to sealed-type bearings. Also provided is an excellent sealing device, unique to NTN, which prevents any leakage of grease or penetration of dust and water from outside. It is designed so that the rotation of the shaft causes the sealed-in grease to circulate through the inside space, effectively providing maximum lubrication. The lubrication effect is maintained over a long period with no need for
replenishment of grease.
To summarize the advantages of the NTN maintenance free bearing unit:
(1) As an adequate amount of good quality grease is sealed in at the time of manufacture, there is no need for replenishment. This means savings in terms of time and maintenance costs.
(2) Since there is no need for any regreasing facilities, such as piping, a more compact design is possible.
(3) The sealed-in design eliminates the possibility of grease leakage, which could lead to stained products.